Monday, February 16, 2009

Don't any of you couples want to be alone?

Valentine's Day was great - I am going to divide everything up between the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. I'll start with the Ugly! Ugly is more juicy anyways.
Ok, so our ugly was dinner. I think that I may have mentioned in a past post that we were going to Mastro's Ocean Club. Since V-day fell on a Saturday and Mr. Pie and I were not together the last time it came around (12 years ago!), we were very excited to make it a date night. Plus we had a $150 gift card. Heh. So we dressed up - Mr. Pie put on a coat and tie, I wore a sparkly dress and worked some heels - it was Prom night! We entered the restaurant - it was gorgeous:
Look dolphins!
It went quickly downhill... We started off with cocktails - a berry martini for me and a sidecar for Mr. Pie
The bread was delicious! Here's my pretzel bread. The cocktails were good too. We were happy Pies. Clap clap! Then we ordered escargot for our appetizer and shared a lobster bisque. These are two of our favorite foods in the world. We adore these foods. We did not adore the Mastro's version. Ugh, blech.
The escargot was sweet. Huh? It was really bad. Even the toast was too soggy with oil.
The lobster bisque was bland. Too milky and the only saving grace were a couple of chunks of lobsters.
At that point, I was almost sorry we ordered entrees. I asked our waiter, MarcoPolo, what the market price for the lobster was. He said $30/lb and they had 3 lb ones that night. I laughed. Seriously? What a horrible markup for them to have on a holiday. Shame on them. Here's our f*#$&'d up meal:
My charred steak - I don't think it's suppose to be BLACK like that.
Our side was lobster mashed potatoes. Ok, that was decent. The potatoes were watery but they got the chunks of lobsters just right.Sorry for the blurry photos, I think my camera was rejecting this meal.
Here's Mr. Pie's seabass:By the way, the entrees came just as plain as they tasted. Mr. Pie's fish was a piece of fish on a huge white plate. He ordered it with their special spices and seasonings. It tasted like no one even spiced it up! I wonder what would have happened if he didn't order it that way.
So we're trying to enjoy this meal and much of it was distracted by the people watching. Apparently, huge groups of people decided to make this a party V-day. Nothing wrong with that, except the 12 person group sitting next to us decided to have a dance party too. It got way too loud and rambunctious. I wanted to slap every single one of them. At one point, it looked as though they were leaving. Everyone got up, they hugged, kissed, blah blah. People put on their coats. Then only 2 of them left and everyone sat down again. We groaned in our seats as they got louder. One guy even yelled out HOOKERS. Yes, yes he did. Mr. Pie wanted to know if any of these couples wanted to be alone. Haha.
Here we are, smiling but crying on the inside.
After we were asked my the maitre'd if we were enjoying out meal, we just nodded towards the loud crowd. He kind of understood but didn't say anything to them. Here's what we got for free because of it. Big whoop. It's their apple butter cake. Mr. Pie loved it, I thought it was ok.
So the food was horrible but the decor and the company (Mr. Pie) was quite lovely. He kept me laughing the whole night as we people watched like mad and thought of many quotes. Plus, we got a cute little box of chocolate truffles.
Today, the restaurant called me to thank me for coming. I just smirked into the phone.

No comments: