Friday, November 2, 2012

Poppyseed (Original post date 12/3/11)

November was a very busy month for us. It went and flew by so quickly. We host Thanksgiving every year and this year, was our biggest in our new home. 25 people! I don’t know what I was thinking but never again…it was way too hectic. Well, I guess definitely next year is out of the question! It was so busy in fact, that I didn’t remember when the first day of my last period was. It was very strange – ever since we started trying, I’d been calendaring everything. We started with ovulation sticks right away because I didn’t want to calendar but I ended up doing both. My period was like clockwork every month which was great but also sad if you weren’t expecting it. With November, I started on a non-Sunday – a Wednesday in fact, but I couldn’t remember which Wednesday! I have a co-worker who has her period before mine so I was desperately seeking when hers was. When she said hers was Oct. 29th (my birthday!), I silently knew it was the Wednesday after, Nov. 2. So therefore, when I didn’t get my period on Nov. 30th, which was my 28th day, I was stoked. Scared. Stoked. Scared. And then back to stoked. So I couldn’t wait to get home and take my test. But then driving home, I almost talked myself out of it. What if it was negative? What if I got my period later that night? There were a bunch of what-ifs and I knew the definitive was just to take a test. The plan that night was to also go to a food truck event so I knew Chris would be home by 7. So I took the test. The dogs could sense my anxiety. They were hopping around, wondering what was going on with Mommy. That was the longest 3 minutes of my life after peeing on that stick. So I went to the kitchen, busied myself for 3 minutes and walked back, fully expecting 1 line. Nope, 2. I left the bathroom. Walked back in. Yes, still 2 lines. I did this about 5 more times. The minutes on the clock ticked for what seemed like an eternity. Chris finally texted that he was on his way home. He got home around 7:15, telling me about his day, the dogs were still bouncing around and I was just sort of listening and when I could interject to tell him. I didn’t have time to be creative – I couldn’t wait! So I started by saying, Hey hon, you know how I wasn’t feeling well this morning? And by the time he turned around, I had the pregnancy test in my hand and showed him. I asked him – that’s 2 lines right? And he broke into a grin and said, yep, that’s 2 lines alright. And then he knelt down and kissed my stomach.

We were going to be parents.

No comments: