Monday, July 27, 2009

"Tall Mocha Frap"

Those were the very first words I ever spoke to Mr. Pie.
A couple of Saturdays ago, Mr. Pie and I were on our way to run errands when he suggested that we stopped at Starbucks for a nice cold drink. I happily agreed and while he was on the phone with a client, I waited for our coffee orders by the pick up counter. I noticed this thing attached to the side of the espresso machine and it made me smile:
It is a timer and one of the first things I noticed about Mr. Pie. It takes me back to 11 years ago, the summer before my senior year at college. I was there for the summer, had a crazy and wild roommate and we were off doing crazy and wild things. Summer classes were only for a month and before we knew it, it was finals week. The apartment seemed small and distracting so CrazyGirl suggested we go to the Starbucks in town to get some coffee and to study. So off we went, in sweatpants and our backpacks. I remember it being a sunny afternoon and as we opened the door to Starbucks, I locked eyes with the cutest barista I had ever seen there. Why had I never seen him before? We moved to the counter and I remember the CuteBaristaGuy asking us for our order and that's when I said the very first words:
"Tall mocha frap."
I remember his smile, I remember some kind of banter back and forth, not exactly what and then CrazyGirl and I settled down with our backpacks and I proceeded to pretend to study while wondering about CuteBaristaGuy. All of a sudden I heard him say "I'm taking my break" and I squirmed in my seat, wondering where he was going. All of a sudden, he was seated at our table and set down his timer (he only had a 15 min break). CrazyGirl was much better with guy speak so she was the talker while I hid behind this:
Yes. I had a book stand. Shut up!
He said something to me, it was a blur and then his break was over. As he was walking away, I said to CrazyGirl that she should give him her number as he seemed interested in her. She shook her head and said that he wasn't her type. So what did I do the following week? Oh, I went into that Starbucks practically every day! And then on the 3rd day when I hadn't ran into him yet, I casually asked his co-worker where he was. I think she took the hint because the next time I saw him, a week later, during the actual day of finals, he seemed a bit shyer around me. After turning in my take home final, CrazyGirl and I decided to celebrate. We hit Duke's for a nice dinner then headed to the local bar. It was only 8 pm and we were already a bit tipsy. Ok, I was a lot more tipsy! So who decides to walk in the door than CuteBaristaGuy himself! I was beside myself but what can I say, I was also empowered with liquid courage :) He took one look at us, brought over his beer and sat down. What did I do?
I wrapped my legs around his.
YES. Me. The girl who could barely speak more than 3 words to him at the coffee shop was now all of a sudden the bravest person in the world.
(By the way, Mr. Pie loves telling this story and is very good at it.)
So we talked and talked and at one point, I actually asked CuteBaristaGuy when we were getting married. Oh the horror. I also spilled his beer on him. Yeah. This guy was sooo going to call me. At the end of the night, our other roommate came to pick us up and CuteBaristaGuy walked us out. I had given him my phone number and made him repeat it a couple of times. We made a date for the following Tuesday. Back at the apartment, we were giggling about CuteBaristaGuy and someone told me to give him a call. He couldn't possibly be home right? It was only about 10 minutes since we had left the bar. So I dialed and who picks up? YES. CuteBaristaGuy. We talked until about 4 in the morning!
Our first date was CuteBaristaGuy making me dinner at his place and the rest is history. We are now living happily ever after :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love our story, but that is sooooo the PG-13 version! I do tell it a bit better. Who wants the all the juicy embarrassing details? ;)