Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Holy Grail


I'm wearing my jersey today and not a whole lot of stares my way. Excuse me, THE RED WINGS JUST WON THE CUP. The Stanley Cup. From Lord Stanley. A trophy that is from 1892. THE HOLY GRAIL. Here's some interesting tidbits about it (taken from Wikipedia - man, they know everything):


  • The Stanley Cup is the oldest professional sports trophy in North America.

  • Unlike the trophies awarded by the other three major professional sports leagues of North America, a new Stanley Cup is not made each year; Cup winners keep it until a new champion is crowned.

  • The original is made of silver. The current Stanley Cup is made of silver and nickel alloy.

  • One of the oldest traditions dictates that the winning team drink champagne from the top bowl after their victory.

  • Ted Lindsay of the 1950 Cup champion Detroit Red Wings became the first captain, upon receiving the Cup, to hoist it overhead and skate around the rink.

  • In 1995 a tradition started wherein each member of the Cup-winning team is allowed to retain the Cup for a day. It is always accompanied by at least one representative from the Hockey Hall of Fame. Victors of the Cup have used it to baptize their children. Two players even allowed their dogs to eat out of the Cup.
GO RED WINGS!

3 comments:

wee said...

you are mad because no one will talk smack with you? hee hee

ZooooM said...

OMG Mr. Zoom HATES the redwings! My team is San Jose Sharks (FAIL) and his is the Avalanche (also FAIL). But he's always had an abnormal hate for the Redwings. Oh, my cream pie friend, you two should totally debate this. Let me film it and put it on youtube. We'd be rich. RICH I tell you.

Mrs. Pie said...

BRING IT ON MR. ZOOM. I'll bring my bird hanger device.